Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major by Ludwig van Beethoven will be played at the next Internet Concert on Friday, the 23rd of April at 7 pm, with the German pianist Martin Stadtfeld at the piano and the Poznan Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Łukasz Borowicz.
Piano Concerto No. 4 had its premiere during a private concert in the palace of Prince Joseph Franz Lobkowitz, in March 1807. A wide audience listened to it on the 22nd of December 1808 in Theater an der Wien at the composer evening of the Master from Bonn. Unfortunately after that event it had been… forgotten for many years (until Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy presented it to the world once again in 1836). That is hardly surprising, as on the December evening in Vienna, besides the Concerto, also two Symphonies (Nos. 5 and 6), Choral Fantasy in C minor, extracts from the Mass in C major, Op. 86, piano improvisations and the concert aria “Ah! Perfido – Per pietà” were performed as well. The whole concert was about four hours long!
Piano Concerto No. 4 was written in the years of 1805-1806 and is considered to be the first of Ludwig van Beethoven’s concertos presenting the composer’s unique style. It was untypical at the time it originated: the work starts with a piano part, which is a solo instrument, and not with the orchestra – that didn’t actually happen so far. The Concerto is called “Lark” because of the brilliant musical ornaments which gives the soloist the opportunity to shine. Is there a better concert recommendation for the spring we are all looking forward to?
And for dessert – Piano Sonata No. 2 in A major, Op. 2 by Ludwig van Beethoven. Second from the three sonatas from Opus 2, dedicated to Joseph Haydn by young Beethoven. It was written in 1796, in the early period of the composer’s work.
Martin STADTFELD – piano
Łukasz BOROWICZ – conductor
Poznan Philharmonic Orchestra
- Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major, Op. 58
Andante con moto
- Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 2 in A major, Op. 2 (2nd movement – Largo appasionato)
Project co-funded by Polish-German Cooperation Fund