During both editions of the nearest concert entitled Pictures at an Exhibition (and Not Only) (scheduled for the 18th and the 19th of March, AMU Concert Hall) the audience will meet two ensembles made up of the musicians of Poznan Philharmonic Orchestra: the percussionists and the brass players.
The program of the concert includes an unusually interesting arrangement of the famous Pictures at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky.
The works that will be performed at the concerts are the original musical pieces from the 20th and the 21st century: light-hearted, often humorous and related to a dance theme, for example ragtime by Walter Sommerfeld and Peter Sadlo, Jonathan Ovalle’s Danza Furioso referring to the flamenco tradition, Pete O’Gorman’s Fire filled with rhythmic flames or the sounds of the Brazilian samba Sambaneira – Roda by Jerzy Marek Mackiewicz, as well as the new arrangements of the excerpts of well-known pieces, such as the Dance of the Little Swans from the ballet Swan Lake by Pyotr Tchaikovsky, the Gypsy Dance from the opera Carmen by Georges Bizet, or the Arrival of Sheba by Georg Friedrich Händel.
The aforementioned Pictures at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky will close the event.
The work, which is a musical illustration of the impression from Viktor Hartmann’s watercolour exhibition, was composed in 1874 as a cycle of 10 piano miniatures. It consists of the recurrent Promenade which unites movements presenting extremely suggestive fairytale musical images, portraits and soundscapes.
Thursday, 18th of March 2021, 7 pm, AMU Concert Hall
Friday, 19th of March 2021, 7 pm, AMU Concert Hall
PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION (AND NOT ONLY)
Percussionists of the Poznan Philharmonic
Brass of the Poznan Philharmonic
- Walter Sommerfeld / Peter Sadlo, Max und Moritz – ragtime
- Jonathan Ovalle, Danza Furioso
- Pete O’ Gorman, Fire
- Upbeat suite: Pyotr Tchaikovsky – Dance of the Little Swans from the ballet Swan Lake, Modest Mussorgsky – Chicks in Their Shells from Pictures at an Exhibition; Georges Bizet – Gypsy Dance from the opera Carmen (arranged by Brian Slawson)
- Jerzy Marek Mackiewicz, Sambaneira – Roda
- Georg Friedrich Händel, Arrival of the Queen of Sheba (arranged by Paul Archibald)
- Modest Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition (arranged by Christopher Mowat)
SG (18.03) DL | MW (19.03)
Tickets: price: A